Job Title: Sous Chef
Reports To: Executive Chef/General Manager
Payroll Status: Salaried
Employment Status: Part-time, Full-Time
Summary: Directs and coordinates activities of culinary operations by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Works closely with Chef and GM to analyze information concerning facility operation such as daily food sales, patron attendance, and labor costs to prepare budget and to maintain cost control of facility operations.
- Inspects and tastes prepared foods to maintain quality standards and sanitation regulations.
- Insure purchasing/receiving procedures for operating supplies are followed at all times.
- Oversee training of the kitchen service team is timely to prepare all employees for the job that is expected of them.
- Review scheduling to ensure proper service levels and server to guest ration are met
- Attends all meetings as required, ensures direct reports hold and attend necessary meetings
- Perform on going performance reviews
- Ensure cohesion with the Executive Chef for efficient, distinctive world-class food production, product utilization, staffing, equipment maintenance and supplies, service.
- Monitor and critique the quality, consistency and presentation of our food products.
- Check all food portions for size as established in menu item recipe standards.
- Quality control of all food products and services.
- Ensure that sanitation standards are met (local Health Code Requirements).
- Ensure that the following meet predefined specifications (where applicable): WOW Factor
- Center of the Plate
- Desert Presentation
- Ensure that kitchen equipment works properly and is maintained.
- Ensure all kitchen staff maintains a clean workstation and equipment is treated and used properly.
- Ability to select, train and motivate team while being sensitive to diverse cultures and people.
- Ensure that measurable goals are set and achieved.
- Ability to understand business volume and staffing demands, can add or cut staff as needed.
- Identify and implement better operating methods for efficiency and reduction of payroll costs.
- Reflect at all times a well-groomed appearance and impeccable manners and must communicate effectively across all customer and employee function requirements so as to ensure proper customer service.
- Ensure service to all guests’ follows established standards, is consistent, efficient and courteous.
- Know emergency procedures (including CPR) and work to prevent accidents.
- Know and adhere to all liquor liability laws.
- Know and adhere to all company policy and procedure.
- Perform any other duties required.
- Completes and provides feedback session in relation to employee concerns
- Must have enthusiasm in meeting people in general hospitality.
Specific Primary Tasks:
Maintains good relationships with all personnel.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High School Diploma or GED, Two-year of Four Year degree (A.S, B. A.) from college or university helpful; five years’ or more related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribe style and format.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of MS Word, Power Point, MS Excel, E-mail
Certificates and Licenses:
CPR, TIPS & ServSafe Sanitation Certificate exposure helpful
Supervises 10-15 subordinate employees in the Culinary area. Is responsible for the overall support, direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; outdoor weather conditions; extreme cold (non-weather) and extreme heat (non-weather).
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Design – Generates creative solutions; Uses feedback to modify designs; Demonstrates attention to detail.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Project Management – Develops project plans; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time; Manages project team activities.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Shares expertise with others.
Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance.
Interpersonal – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills.
Team Work – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives.
Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Presents numerical data effectively.
Change Management – Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Prepares and supports those affected by change.
Delegation – Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently.
Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Inspires respect and trust; Displays passion and optimism. Mobilizes team to fulfill overall vision.
Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities; Makes self available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Improves processes, products and services; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Visionary Leadership – Displays passion and optimism.
Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions.
Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Conserves organizational resources.
Diversity – Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Promotes a harassment-free environment.
Ethics – Treats people with respect; Upholds organizational values.
Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Supports organization’s goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities.
Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Analyzes market and competition; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation.
Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Dependability – Takes responsibility for own actions; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
Initiative – Volunteers readily; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; Develops innovative approaches and ideas.
Judgment – Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Makes timely decisions.
Motivation – Measures self against standard of excellence.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks.
Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Strives to increase productivity.
Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions ; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Apply Online | Download/Print Application